Tuesday 18 November 2008

Devils pub and the only "bank holiday" Slovakia will ever know...

I've just had my first weekend out! I got sick of just sitting in every weekend because Marina was busy with her own friends and decided that me and Magdalena should just hit the town! Well we decided earlier in the week to go out but I can't remember if I told you this already and now feel guilty about lying even if it was only a little white lie..... I'm a freak....

Well anyway! We met up on Friday night and went to the Irish Pub first for a couple of pints before heading to Devils, the local night club where all the cool kids go ;), and you'll NEVER guess what was playing when I got into the bar... THE UNDERTONES! I almost had a heart attack. My Perfect Cousin. I don't know what excited me most, the fact it was the Undertones or there was actual irish music in the Irish pub. The most I've heard them play before was U2.

After that it was just Devils were we danced the night away... I've forgotten that I'm no longer 18 and can no longer just spend a night dancing. It's been a difficult realisation. Is realisation a word? Or have I just made that up? I've never used it before so I'm not sure. Your comments please..... So yeah.... She can dance the night away and I definitely can not. It probably didn't help that I was wearing my 3 inch platform wedges.... They weren't designed for dancing to all hours in! But I had fun and we even decided we should head out the next night as well :)

So on the Saturday, we went the the Goppion Caffe to have Cocktails and there we were met by a parade of women in tight little yellow dresses. It would seen that drinks promotions are quite a big deal in Slovakia. These ladies convinced us that we should buy this "new" (well I've never tried it before...) drink, Mextexa! It was alright, the only reason we tried it was because we were told that if we did we would have the chance of winning a prize which we both did! With our drinks we got these pong/tokens which we were to give to the women in skimpy outfits and they talked us through the "game." What we had to do was place our hand in the middle of the screen and it would "randomly" choose a light and from behind that there would be an envelope telling the girls what prize to give us... but they ended up giving us all of them, a Mextaxa neck chain, fan and t shirt. Which was nice!

After all those fun and games we just went to Devils again and got chatted up by creepy guys all night. When one of these fellows founds out that we were foreign and had decided that no wasn't a good enough answer for him that we would this line: "I have sent time outside of Slovakia and I have found that when I come back the only way I can get through a visit is by drinking as much as possible so let me buy you a drink." Classy.... After that I think he got the idea.

Another thing I have noticed at Devils Pub is that there are pictures of old Soviet Union politicians on the walls.... I asked someone about it and they told me that it was because it used to be an old Soviet Union bar before it got "transformed" into a night club. I can't understand why they have kept these pictures on the walls. Surely they are glad to get rid of all of this... But it would seen naw lol No one really mind them! Or maybe that's why it's called Devils... I just thought thats why they have they placed decorated in what looks like Manchester United merchandise.

Marina was in Prague all this weekend. She decided not to tell me that I had Monday off work and I only found out about it on Friday night when Adriana decided to tell me in passing as she was leaving the building. Which was nice of them! Apparently its in celebration of a student uprising against the Soviot Union that was basically the beginning of the end for them. The poor Stalinist... They never saw it coming.... She came back last night and brought me a BEAUTIFUL pair of ear rings! Well lured.... I love pressies :)

Well thats about it lads! If there are any new developments I'll keep you posted ;)

*FUN FACT ABOUT SLOVAKIA*

There is a little old woman that comes into my office. Shes got purple hair, speaks no english but alway says hello, smokes a SHOCKING amount of fags, and doesn't do any work. She just sits there doing her crossword all day. Not that I care I don't do any work either lol

No comments: